Setting up Oracle Unbreakable Linux using VMWare


For all you guys who want to experience Oracle Unbreakable Linux without replacing your current OS this is good news. There are several ways in running Linux OS in your PC without removing your current OS,
  1. Using a Live CD - some flavors of Linux OS have Live CDs available. To name a few, we have Knoppix, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc... This method allows you to run the OS using the Live CD. Load the CD in your drive and reboot your PC; make sure that your system will boot first from your CD drive, and away you go!
  2. Dual Boot - this method allows you to run two different OS in your PC one at a time. Which means that once the PC starts running, you will be asked to select which OS to run. This method is a lot faster than that of using the Live CD. Just make sure that you know how to perform dual boot installation or your existing OS is history.
  3. Using a Virtual Machine - this method is what I preferred most, but first, you need to install a program that allows you to create virtual machines in your PC. A lot of virtual machine programs are out there - some are free while others are not. I am using VMWare.
Oracle Enterprise Linux is based from Red Had Enterprise Linux, so when I created my virtual machine, I chose Red Hat Enterprise settings to make sure that all the drivers for my Oracle Linux can run. The installation is very straightforward, just read the instructions and choose your preferences and click next!


I am taking my virtual class from www.LinuxBasics.org. Now I can perform the exercises in the course using my preferred Linux flavor. Oracle Unbreakable Linux is available for download for free!

No comments: